Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Tata Photon Plus: A User Review


Spoiler: You Might Not Want to Buy One After Reading This.
Short Two World Summary: It's Shit.
I type an address, I hit enter. I wait for 5 minutes. I take out my mobile. I type the address, hit enter. In 5 seconds, the page opens. I see the computer screen. Still loading with a blank white page in front. That's power of Tata Photon. Get Speed within yourself to find options. Get Time for other things, it'll be forever loading. That's not the only problem with Tata Photon however.
Let's start with the start. I got Tata Photon installed. Till the time they came asking money and giving device, they were calling continuously. The person who came promised he'll deliver gift coupons that are supposed to be given with the device. Forward two weeks, a couple of complaints. A week later, I get to know that I wasn't supposed to get anything like that because I hadn't preserved the sms/hadn't been given anything in written. Please note therefore, if Tata Photon or any people related promise anything, ask them to write it down with date and time, there signature, name and check their id, note the details.

Fine, I move on. While the first 5GB are on, I'm supposed to get 3.1MBPS. The disclaimer says UPTO. Means I never really got even 2 MBPS. After the 5 GB, I am supposed to get 155 KBPS. I am frequently getting lesser speed, but it's manageable so I don't complain. A couple of months later, when it gets unbearably low, I file a complaint. I get no response. They say they will charge 150 Rupees for coming. To note here is that they charge around 900-950 Rupees a month. Now after charing 950, they're again on begging terms. Don't they deserve to shut down shop because they can't afford the engineers to solve customer's problems?

I manage somehow. Things get really out of hand when I am unable to do anything. I open speedtest.net. I get a message 'for your speed, try modile speedtes'. Amazing. I try other speed test. I get 20KBPS. It puts me just above one Dial-up speed and below two Dial-up speeds. I complain. Again they say 150 Rupees. I say Disconnect. A couple of days later, I get a call that I'll get 15GB instead of 5GB of High Speed usage. I feel okay let's continue. A couple of days later, I again ask for disconnection. Let me point reasons.

When I asked from when will this 15 GB be applicable?
Ans: From your next billing cycle, that is 26th.
P.S. It again means they don't have any means to solve problems, just trying to offer a bigger plan.

When I asked is this unlimited plan adn again the speed will be ridiculously low after high speed usage...
Ans: They said it's limited to 15GB after which I'll be charged. I get told you anyway use only 7-8 GB maximum.
P.S. I was using this low because after 5 GB, the 155 KBPS they offered was ridiculously low that it was hard to use. If I used 8, it only means I have huge amount of patience. Also, I remember not using any heavy stuff, even youtube excessively because I was afraid that 5 GB may get over anytime.

When I asked: My Account is still not working after 5-6 months of Tata and innumerable complaints...
Ans: They first said you can't do anything and then said you need to send an e-mail.
P.S. In a limited account, you need to be able to check My Account to know usage. And I have already sent dozens of e-mails.


Attaching some interesting speed test screenshots that any modern day service provider will feel ashamed of. Please Note beforehand, they are separately carried, done with only a single internet/download process active at a time.



1 comment:

  1. Online tata photon plus tariff plans prepaid with speed booster plans starting from 125. all the plans have service tax as applicable. Tata photon plus recharge online can be done for both prepaid and postpaid users. It activate on the spot after taking connection. Tata photon plus plans like minutes plans, usage data plans and there are plenty of plans which will suite to the regular customer who use internet very less.

    ReplyDelete